20 Amazing Chocolate Facts
What’s the first thing that comes to mind when we mention chocolate bars? Warmth? Happiness? Luxury? Cravings? Whatever relationship you have with the sweet stuff, it’s likely that it’s a loving one – especially due to the fact that you’re here reading this blog!
Kids and adults alike love chocolate. It’s so wonderful that it can even solve every problem imaginable. Feel sad? Eat chocolate. Got something to celebrate? Then why not buy a whole box? Chocolate should really be the 8th wonder of the world when you think about it. In fact, it’s been so highly prized throughout time that it’s even been used as currency! So, whether you enjoy sugar-free chocolate, good old Australian chocolate, Whittakers chocolate or any other type, read on for some amazing chocolate facts!
- Cacao seeds were used as money by the Aztecs
- The first ever chocolate bar was invented by Joseph Fry in 1847
- Montezuma II, the Aztec emperor, drank over 50 cups of chocolate every day!
- Chocolate milk aids recovery after a workout
- The chocolate river in the original Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory was made with cream, chocolate and a staggering 15,000 gallons of water! Sounds amazing? The cast said that it stank because it spoiled so quickly.
- Way back in 1930, a lady named Ruth Wakefield ran out of baker’s chocolate while making cookies, so she used Nestle chocolate pieces instead. She later sold on her idea for creating chocolate chip cookies to Nestle for a gift of a lifetime supply of chocolate!
- Bizarrely, Lays once produced limited edition chips coated in milk chocolate. Yum!?
- An Aztec slave could be purchased for 100 cocoa beans
- Remember the movie Psycho? The blood in the infamous shower scene was chocolate syrup!
- On the feast of St. Nicholas in Holland on 6th December kids put their clogs outside their homes to be filled with chocolate coins by Santa
- It took a full 8 years of experimenting for Daniel Peter to get the right ratio of condensed milk and chocolate to create milk chocolate back in 1875
- 400 beans go into just one pound of the delicious brown stuff
- Feel better when you eat chocolate? It’s no wonder as it acts as a mild anti-depressant by increasing endorphin and serotonin levels
- It’s been proven that chocolate cravings can only ever be satisfied by chocolate and nothing else
- 50% of the world’s chocolate is consumed in America
- Napoleon always had a bar of chocolate with him
- Just one pod of cacao contains around 42 beans
- Calamari and chocolate soup is a thing!
- Pure cocoa beans contain chemicals that fight harmful bacteria in the mouth that cause tooth decay
- The first ever heart-shaped box of chocs was made by Richard Cadbury for Valentine’s Day back in 1861
So, now you know more about the sweet stuff, why not take a look online at our store to buy a little (or a lot) of what you fancy? You can choose from popular items such as Skittles, Sweet Heat, Fruity Pebbles and more. Additionally, we also offer drinks online as well as cookies & chips online. You’re spoiled for choice here at Joy’s De’Lights!